Tuesday 16 May 2017

#FASuccess Ep 020: Building A Successful Business By Giving Away 99% Of What You Do For Free with Michael Kitces

Welcome back to the twentieth episode of the Financial Advisor Success podcast!

This week’s guest is… me! In celebration of our twentieth episode of the podcast, I decided to fulfill what has been, by far, the most popular request from our podcast listeners… to hear my own story. And so Alan Moore, my co-host on the XYPN Radio podcast, serves as our guest host for the week as I talk about my own journey through the world of financial planning and how I got to where I am today.

In this episode, I go all the way back to my start in the industry, and share why it was the job my grandmother took, almost 50 years ago after my grandfather unexpectedly passed away, that ultimately got me into the financial services industry straight out of college at the peak of the tech bubble as a pre-med Psychology major and Theater minor. And how my first job – as a life insurance agent – turned out to be a colossal failure, to the point that I couldn’t even get a position as a paraplanner for $24,000/year, and the path I eventually found that turned it all around.

In addition, we talk about how I made the transition from working full-time in an advisory firm to my current path as a blogger, speaker, and serial entrepreneur, why I think digital marketing is so much more effective at building a business than traditional marketing (especially for an introvert like me!), and the highly strategic philosophy that I’ve used to build my entire business model: by trying to give away 99% of what I do entirely for free.

And be certain to listen to the end, where I talk about my “big rocks” approach to time management, and how I handle allocating my time across what are now half a dozen different businesses, from XY Planning Network, to New Planner Recruiting, our advisory firm and outsourced investment management services for other RIAs… on top of speaking at more than 60 industry conferences, podcasting, and publishing this Nerd’s Eye View blog!

So if you’ve ever been curious to hear my own path through the advisory world, why I do what I do, how I manage my time, and the “secret” to my business model that allows me to give away so much of what I do for free (and still ultimately make the money I need to raise a family and put my kids through college)… I hope you enjoy this latest episode of the Financial Advisor Success podcast!

Read More…



source https://www.kitces.com/blog/michael-kitces-nerds-eye-view-podcast-successful-business-digital-content-marketing/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=michael-kitces-nerds-eye-view-podcast-successful-business-digital-content-marketing

No comments:

Post a Comment